Is It Possible to Do Electrical Work in My House All by Myself?

Is It Possible to Do Electrical Work in My House All by Myself?

You may have some problems in your home and just like always you starting to search on the internet about the problem. There are so many videos and content to help you DIY and solve the problem. But what if these problems are electrical? Do you need to hire a domestic electrician or you can handle it by yourself? Electrical Works London may seem easy to solve but in reality, it needs a certain amount of knowledge. There are many regulations and dangers. Before starting any type of electrical repair, just think about the fact that electricity is much faster than your actions, it means if you don’t know how to manage a difficult situation, you may not be alive anymore!

Sure, everybody knows how to change a lightbulb carefully, but do you know about electrical distribution in your house? So, because of these problems, we define some of the essential concepts and safety tips to shed some light on what electrical work is doable by you. Some of the electrical issues cannot handle by an untrained person, in this situation it would be better if you left it to the hands of a domestic electrician.

Electrical safety tips for beginners:

As a homeowner, first, you probably try to fix every property problem by yourself then. Anytime you decided to do that, be sure to follow these safety instructions, they help you to prevent any damages and danger for you and your family.

  • Shut off the power.  It is the most important thing to do whenever you want to repair or work with electricity. switch off the power supply to the specific room from the fuse box. If you don’t know how to do this, search about your fuse box and examine to know how to turn it off. Try to use battery-powered tools during the electrical works.
  • Invest in an RCD. RCD is a residual current device. It is a special device that helps you cut off the power whenever faulty wiring happens. They are usually installed in your fuse box. The older version of the fuse box doesn’t have RCD. Most new homes already come with RCD.
  • Use a cable detector. When you want to rewire your entire house or want to check if sockets have electricity or not, a cable detector is useful. Nailing, drilling or screwing into the wall is risky without checking the electrical cables.
  • Hire a domestic electrician. If you don’t know how to fuse box works, how electricity distributes in house, don’t risk your life into an adventure. Instead of risking your life, leave the work to an expert. About Part P regulations in your house

Regulations of electric work

In the United Kingdom, London, there are some certain regulations for any kind of electric work. Part P regulation is one of these regulations. Part P regulation provides a guideline on electrical safety for anyone (especially electrician) to know how can prevent damage to appliances and lives on a domestic property. As your information, if a guest will have electrocuted because of faulty wiring in your house, you can be prosecuted, because your house wiring should meet the Part P regulations.

According to this regulation, the following issues in your house needs to be done by a certified electrician:

  • New circuit installation
  • Consumer unit replacement
  • Add or remove an existing circuit in wet areas

Wet areas including bathroom, kitchen, toilet and any area in close proximity to a bathtub, shower or Jacuzzi, (also if your house has a room that has a swimming pool or sauna heater).

Regulation Statements

For these kinds of electrical works in your domestic properties, you need to hire an experienced electrician who is allowed to make alterations. Other types of electrical works can be done by yourself, but remember to notice these regulations statements:

  • Please remember to turn off the electricity and then test the main power before starting any repair job.
  • If you have experience in electrical works (you may have learned in college or university), you can carry out electrical works that are not notifiable under Part P regulations. By the end, your work needs to be inspected by a certified electrician or registered professional.
  • Always remember to read and learn about Part P updates